One of us lives on the east coast. One of us lives on the west.

One of us lives in a rural community. One of us lives in a city.

Both of us wander. Both of us witness. Both of us write.

This is a record of what we find.







Thursday, September 18, 2014

Discovering Stories Out There and the Winner of SEARCHING FOR SILVERHEELS

I don't know about you, but my head is still spinning from taking in all that Jeannie Mobley offered us over the last two weeks.  Spinning in a good way!

I am particularly buzzing about this: I just needed to be in nature as part of the process.

And this:  Things like that [the cabin Jeannie and her sister found] have always sent stories singing through my blood--- me feel like I am not making up stories so much as discovering them, everywhere that people have been before me. That everyone's story is crying out to be told.




What do you think of those two ideas?  That there are all of these stories just out there in the world---entwined in tree roots, written on river rocks, tucked into mountainsides---and we need to find them.  Maybe listen for them. And the way to do that, of course, is to be out there.  We spend so much time at our desks, or in the coffee shops, heads down and writing, but we also, perhaps, need to spend just as 
much time out there...


I'm going to try to do that; to spend more time outside with the intention of just being there to listen.

















*      *     *     *     *     *


And remember Jeannie's book giveaway?  Kelly Bennett is the lucky winner!  Congratulations Kelly!  Jeannie will be in touch with you to send you your copy of SEARCHING FOR SILVERHEELS!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love the idea of poking around looking for stories in unexpected places. So much of writing is what happens away from the desk.

    ReplyDelete